Fieldpiece SC77 True RMS Clamp Meter
Fieldpiece SC77 True RMS Clamp Meter with Temperature, Capacitance and Backlight - All-in-one HVAC/R meter
The SC77 is one of our most popular digital multimeters for a reason. It has virtually every parameter for electrical and thermal HVAC/R testing in one meter. This auto ranger includes a host of safety features including a high-voltage LED and beeper, a continuity warning, push button non-contact voltage (NCV), a lead holder with detachable leads and alligator probe tips for easy one-handed testing. As far as ranges go, it has temperature, capacitance, microamps DC for flame diode tests, and everyday electrical ranges for HVAC/R. Not to mention technicians tell us it one of the most durable meters in the industry. Rivaled only by our stick meters, the SC77 is also one of their top picks from Fieldpiece.
Features and Benefits
Designed specifically for HVAC/R field service, the SC77 is a dedicated DMM and offers specific features and benefits to HVAC/R field service pros including:
Works with Fieldpiece Accessory Heads
There is a Fieldpiece accessory head available for just about any job. There are heads to measure temperature, superheat, subcooling, RH%, wet bulb, dew point, vacuum (microns of mercury), manometer (inches of water column), amps AC&DC, high voltage, CO, %CO2, air velocity, and many more.
With the NCV tab on the tip of the clamp close to an AC voltage, press and hold the NCV button. The NCV LED will light with an analog feel and the beeper will beep. The closer you get to AC voltage, the louder the beep. The NCV function is sensitive enough to detect 24VAC on thermostats (24V to 600V, 50Hz to 60Hz).
High Voltage and Continuity Indicators
If you were doing lab testing, these features would probably drive you crazy. We’ve heard from more than one HVAC/R veteran that these features really remind you of what you’re doing and they’ve avoided potentially dangerous situations in the field. The Hi-V LED and beeper let you know when you’ve hooked up to a circuit over 30V. The continuity LED and beeper tells you if a circuit is open or closed.
Using the built-in amp clamp, read 0-300 amps directly on your meter with 0.1 resolution.
Measure microfarads on motor-run and motor-start capacitors using this range. Disconnect the capacitor from power first. Short the terminals to discharge the capacitor. Disconnect any resistors that might be between the terminals of the capacitor and measure to check for degradation.
Take ambient air or refrigeration line temperatures and more with the built-in K-type port and the included ATB1 wrap tab thermocouple. Add a wet sock (saturated tissue or a shoelace to take wet bulb temperatures. The built-in temperature junction offers great temperature compensation for more accurate and faster measurements,
Microamps DC - Flame Rectification Tests
The most common ‘no heat” call has to do with a malfunctioning flame sensing diode. Simply turn the meter to microamps DC, hook up, and see if the flame sensing rod is functioning properly.
Digital multimeters use two different types of AC sensing. The most common is average sensing, normalized to a true RMS value of a sine wave. The other is true RMS sensing. The actual true RMS value is sensed for a wave form within the limits of the crest factor. Either sensing method will give the same results on a clean sine wave but they may differ on a non-sinusoidal waveform.
Silicone Leads with Detachable Probe Tips
Because the wire insulation is silicone, the leads stay flexible in cold weather and will not melt if bumped by a soldering iron. When testing electrical circuits with two hands, there is a risk that a careless mistake may complete a circuit through your body and potentially cause death or injury. Use the probe clip on the amp clamp to connect and firmly hold the V lead in place, detach the COM probe tip, connect an alligator lead tip to COM and ground, and perform a one-hand test more easily than most meters on the market. Built-in lead storage makes it easy to keep everything together from job to job.
Wire Grabbing Jaw
The fixed jaw is longer than the moveable jaw to make it easier to select just one wire from a bundle. With the jaws closed, separate one wire using the long fixed jaw. Slide it to the corner where the two jaws meet. Then open the jaws to let it in. Now you can select the wire without holding the jaws open
Bright Blue Backlight
Easily read the display in overcast conditions or in dimly lit areas.
The HOLD button is easily pressed while holding the mini clamp meter naturally in your hand. It holds any reading on your meter so you can concentrate on the test points and look at the LCD after you’ve disconnected.
- Volts AC.
- Volts DC.
- Resistance (Ohms).
- Diode Test
- Rugged ABS case.
- Ergonomic shape fits naturally in your hand.
- Auto power-off (APO) to conserve battery life.
You can tell the difference simply by putting the SC77 in your hand. It’s a natural fit; it feels solid and has a bit of balanced weight to it. Add to that True RMS and virtually every electrical parameter you’re going to need for HVAC/R field service. Add to that temperature. Add to that the fact that it works with Fieldpiece accessory head instruments. Still add to that built-in safety features, detachable leads, and warnings.
We designed this meter to be the best clamp meter for HVAC/R. The feedback we’ve gotten from you guys in the field seems to tell us we’ve done just that. Talk is cheap. Go hold one at your favorite distributor and decide for yourself.
- True RMS Clamp Meter with Temperature, Capacitance and Backlight - SC77
- Wrap Tab K-Type Thermocouple - ATB1
- Silicone Test Leads - ASLS2
- Large Single Meter Case - ANC7
- 9-Volt battery (installed)
- Operator’s manual
- Display: LCD with a maximum reading of 4000.
- Data Hold: Operating on all ranges
- Range(RNG): Operating on all autoranges
- Overrange: "OL" mark indication.
- Auto power off: Approx. 10 minutes.
- Measurement rate: 2 times per second, nominal.
- Operating environment: 32 to 122°F (0 to 50°C) at <70% R.H.
- Storage temperature: -4 to 140°F (-20 to 60°C), 0 to 80% R.H. with battery removed.
- Accuracy: Specifications good in ambient conditions of 73°F ±9°F (23°C ±5°) , <75% relative humidity.
- Temperature Coefficient: 0.1 × (specified accuracy) per °F/°C; 32 to 66°F (0 to 19°C); 82 to 122°F (28 to 50°C).
- Altitude: 6561.7 Feet (2000 meters).
- Jaw opening capability: 38mm conductor.
- Power: Single standard 9-volt battery, NEDA 1604, JIS 006P, IEC 6F22.
- Battery life: 100 hours carbon zinc, 200 hours typical with alkaline.
- Accessories: One pair test leads, one pair of small alligator clips, ktype thermocouple, 9V battery (installed), and operating instructions.
- Safety: Designed to meet IEC/EN61010-1 and IEC/EN61010- 2-032, CATIII 600V, class II and pollution degree 2, indoor use comply with CE. C-Tick.
- Ranges: 400mV, 4000mV, 40V, 400V, 600V
- Resolution: 0.1mV
- Accuracy: ±(0.5% rdg + 2 dgt)
- Input impedance: 3MΩ on V inputs, 10MΩ on mV input
- Overload protection: 600VDC or AC rms
- Transient protection: 6kV for 10μ sec
AC volts(50Hz - 500Hz)
- Ranges: 4V, 40V, 400V, 600V
- Resolution: 1mV
- Accuracy: ±(2.0% rdg + 8 dgts) 50 ~ 500Hz
- Input impedance: 3MΩ
- Overload protection: 600V DC or AC rms
- Transient protection: 6kV for 10μ sec
AC current(50Hz - 60Hz)
- Ranges: 40A, 300A
- Resolution: 0.01A
- DC Accuracy: ±(3.0% rdg + 10 dgts) 0 ~ 300A / 50 ~ 60Hz
- Overload protection: 300AAC
- Ranges: 400μA
- Resolution: 0.1μA
- Accuracy: ±(1.0% rdg + 2 dgt)
- Voltage burden: 1V
- Overload protection: 500V DC or AC rms
- Ranges: 400Ω, 4kΩ, 40kΩ, 400kΩ, 4MΩ, 40MΩ
- Resolution: 0.1Ω
- Accuracy: ±(1.2% rdg + 4 dgts) on 400Ω to 400kΩ ranges, ±(1.5% rdg + 4 dgts) on 4MΩ range, ±(3.0% rdg + 5 dgts) on 40MΩ range
- Open circuit volts: -0.45VDC typical,
- (-1.2VDC on 400Ω range)
- Overload protection: 500VDC or AC rms
- Range: -30 to 1000°F (-35 to 600°C)
- Resolution: 0.1°
- Accuracy: ±1°F (32 to 120°F), ±1% + 1.5°F (-4 to 750°F), ±2% + 4°F (-30 to -4°F, 750 to 1000°F), ±1°C (0 to 120°C), ±1% + 1°C (0 to 400°C), ±2% +3°C (-35 to 0°C, 400 to 600°C)
- Sensor type: K-type thermocouple
- Overload protection: 60 VDC or 30 VAC rms
- Range: 400Ω
- Resolution: 1Ω
- Audible indication: Less than 25Ω
- Response time: 500ms
- Overload Protection: 500VDC or AC rms
- Green LED will be on continuously.
- Range: 4μF, 40μF, 400μF, 4mF, 1mF = 1000μF, i.e: 1.425mF = 1425μF
- Resolution: 1nF
- Accuracy: ±(3% rdg + 10 dgts) on 4μF range, ±(3% rdg + 5 dgts) on 40μF to 400μF ranges, ±(5% rdg + 20 dgts) on 4mF range
- Input protection: 500VDC or AC rms
>30VAC/DC meter beeps, red LED blinks.
Senses voltage 24V to 600V AC (50Hz to 60Hz) beeper chirps and big bright red LED comes on, works when meter dial is on any range.